Date: 10th April 2018
- Marshall Ward (MW) (Chair), NCI
- Aidan Heerdegen (AH) and Andrew Kiss (AK), CLEX ANU
- Russ Fiedler (RF), Matt Chamberlain (MC), CSIRO Hobart
- Peter Dobrohotoff (PD), CSIRO Aspendale
AH: Have rebased PDs MOM code on to latest MOM5 source. Wrapped all PDs changes that are incompatible in ifdef ACCESS_CM statements. This is available as branch cm2 on MOM5 GitHub repo. Created a pull request to allow code review (https://github.com/mom-ocean/MOM5/pull/214).
AH: PD has provided a rose suite (u-aw048) for testing. AH successfully copied (u-aw405) and ran this suite. Created another suite (u-aw445) to test that this reproduces first copy with no changes. It does. Created a third suite (u-aw497), changed git URL to point at cm2 branch, but initial compile failed to find the source. Eventually got it to recognise the updated source, now compile fails due to an absence of a main routine. Needs some modification.
PD: Best to make small incremental changes to a suite. In this case just change the fortran files and see if it works. Avoid changing how the compile is done, definitely avoid changing rose app conf. Was just trying to determine the compile flags use in UM fcm build from Met Office was not a trivial task.
MW: cylc is good, small and configurable. rose is difficult and opaque.
AH: Will get some help from others via the cm2-om2-harmonisation slack channel
AH: Next step is to do the same for CICE5 as has been done for MOM5.
NH: CSIRO is getting CICE from the UKMO. There are code changes under src, not just in the drivers.
AH: Does UKMO version of CICE5 have a special licence? Will we be able to host UKMO modifications to CICE5 on OceansAus repo? NH: CICE has a CICE licence
PD: ACCESS-CM2 doesn’t reproduce over restarts. Would like to run CICE stand alone. Does CICE reproduce over restarts?
NH: cleanest way to test is in the coupling code, before any model sends anything to another model, checksum fields. That is the point you can compare the output of a model. In the case of restarts, can include in checksum what current model run time is.
MW: there are 2 restarts, individual models and oasis restarts. Have to make sure trigger the same number of time steps in models.
- Poll TWG on list of achievements for Meeting presentation (MW)
- Shared google doc on reproducibility strategy (AH)
- Follow up with Andy Hogg regarding shared codebase (MW)
- MW liase with AK about tenth model hangs (AK, MW)
- Pull request for WOMBAT changes into MOM5 repo (MC, MW)
- Compare out OASIS/CICE coupling code in ACCESS-CM2 and ACCESS-OM2 (RF)
- After FMS moved to submodule, incorporate MPI-IO changes into FMS (MW)
- Incorporate WOMBAT into CM2.5 decadal prediction codebase and publish to Github (RF)
- Profile ACCESS-OM2-01 (MW)
- Move FMS to submodule of MOM5 github repo (MW)
- Make a proper plan for model release — discuss at COSIMA meeting. Ask students/researchers what they need to get started with a model (MW and TWG)
- Blog post around issues with high core count jobs and mxm mtl (NH)
- Look into OpenDAP/THREDDS for use with MOM on raijin (AH, NH)
Add RF ocean bathymetry code to OceansAus repo (RF)
Add MPI barrier before ice halo updates timer to check if slow timing issues are just ice load imbalances that appear as longer times due to synchronisation (NH).
- Nudging code test case (RF)
- Redo SSS restoring with patch smoothing (AH)
- Get Ben/Andy to endorse provision of MAS to CoE (no-one assigned)
- CICE and MATM need to output namelists for metadata crawling (AK)